Top tips to work out after surgery
Bariatric surgery is a powerful weight-loss tool, but it is not a miracle cure. To have the best life after bariatric surgery, you will need to commit to a healthy diet and a consistent bariatric exercise regime so you can maximize your weight loss and feel better than ever.
Here some tips to have the best results and feel amazing!
1. Begin your exercise program gradually and increase how much you exercise slowly. If it is becoming easy increase the amount of repetitions, time or distance.
2. You should always consider that if it hurts when you do something, stop doing that activity.
3. Develop specific, realistic and achievable goals for your exercise program.
4. Vary workouts to alleviate boredom.
5. Choose activities that you enjoy as you will be more likely to continue doing them.
6. Activities that can be incorporated into everyday life may be easier to keep to, such as brisk walking, gardening or cycling.
7. Find the best time of day to exercise; you may prefer exercising first thing in the morning or last thing at night.
8. Keep your walking shoes or exercise clothes in the car.
9. Aim to walk 10,000 steps per day and buy a pedometer.
10. Always leave at least 2 hours after eating before you start exercising to help avoid indigestion, heartburn and getting a stitch.
11. Give your muscles at least 24 hours to recover following a workout to allow them to strengthen and recover properly.
12. Drink plenty of water. Your smaller stomach following surgery can make it tough for your body to absorb the water it needs, especially during and after exercise. Always have water by your side and drink regularly.