Nourishing Bone Broth
- 500-1kg chicken bones
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 celery stalks, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp goji berries
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 8 cups water
Make It Like So
- Simmer the bones in a pot of water until scum starts to float to the top, about 10 minutes. Dump the water and clean out the pot. Put the bones back in the pot.
- Add all the ingredients, except the water, to a large soup pot or slow cooker. Add enough water to fill the pot (expect to use about 8 cups).
- Cover and bring to a slow and low simmer for 2-6 hours (up to 24 hours in a slow cooker on low). The soup will get richer and more flavourful the longer you let it simmer.
- Once cooked, strain the broth from the bones and veggies.
- Add salt to taste and enjoy.
Note: This recipe cooks up amazingly well in a slow cooker as well. Cook your bones first as outlined in the above recipe, and then add all ingredients to your slow cooker. Set it on low and let it simmer away for 24 hours.