Bariatric Christmas Pudding
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
125g soft ready-to-eat prunes, chopped
125g soft ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
300g mixed dried fruit
grated zest of 1 orange
grated zest of 1 lemon
100g low-fat olive oil spread or light butter
3 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp baking powder
75g ground almonds
100g porridge oats
1 tbsp ground mixed spice
200ml Guinness stout
WLS PORTION: ¼-1/2
CALORIES PER PORTION: 375
1. Grease a 900g pudding basin or spritz generously with low-fat cooking spray.
2. Mix the carrot with the prunes, apricots, dried fruit, orange and lemon zest. Melt the spread or light butter in a pan over a low heat and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl beat the Splenda with the eggs.
4. Stir the fruit mix into the egg mixture with the spread or butter, almonds, porridge oats, mixed spice and Guinness. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Spoon into the prepared pudding basin, cover with a pleated piece of greaseproof paper or baking parchment and secure with string.
6. Steam for 3-4 hours, ensuring that the pan does not boil dry. Invert onto a serving plate to serve with cream, custard, ice cream or a sweetened white sauce.